Monday, April 13, 2020

Graeter's Ice Cream app for iOS: Olo error messaging for users who sign in from outside the US

iOS 13.4.1
Graeter's Ice Cream (version 2.1)
Date: 04/13/20

Description:

Here's a bug that i've spotted a couple of times now.

I am not physically in the United States, and I am not using a VPN. I am using my American iTunes account, and downloading apps through the American app store.

A company called Olo runs the infrastructure that powers the ordering systems for a number of different restaurant and small business apps in the United States.

Today, I download an ice cream app from a company called Graeter's Ice Cream. When I tried to use my Facebook credentials to sign up for an account, I was greeted with this error message:

Not exactly the most user friendly error message. Other apps either just prohibit the user from using certain areas of the app, or they provide generic error messaging. This error message, which discusses ordering.api.olo.com and Cloudflare Ray ID's, isn't informative to the average user. What if I was in Canada and flying back to Ohio?

What if I was using a non-US IP in the US?

Steps to Reproduce:

1. In a country other than the US, download and the Graeter's Ice Cream app
2. Try to create an account using the Facebook login option
3. Note the error message mentioning olo.com
4. Note that the error message isn't very informative

Result: The Graeter's Ice Cream app displays an error message about olo.com, if the user tries to create an account from an IP that's not in the US

Expected: The Graeter's Ice Cream app shouldn't be displaying this particular error message

No comments:

Post a Comment